Middle School / High School Students
Tips for Teen Health
Ten Tips for Handling Stress
- Stop what you're doing and take several deep breaths. Try to calm down.
- Put things in perspective: no matter how bad your situation is, it will get better.
- Take time to do things you enjoy (paint your nails, listen to your favorite music, etc.)
- Don't be afraid to ask for help.
- Try writing in a journal about your feelings, sometimes venting helps.
- If you're nervous about a deadline at school or work, talk to your teacher or boss about an extension.
- Don't procrastinate on assignments. Break them into smaller chunks so it's not too much to handle.
- Get a cool stress ball.
- If something is really getting to you, take a break, and try something different.
- REMEMBER: Take life one day at a time.
Five Tips for Teen Exercise:
- Find something new and interesting to try
- If you haven't been exercising for a while start off easy...if you haven't run a mile in a year it's probably not realistic to think you can run a marathon the first day out.
- Be patient! It may be a while before you see or feel the benefits of exercise.
- Another incentive to exercise is www.presidentschallenge.comwhere you can earn rewards for setting exercise goals and meeting them!
- Find someone to work out with. Sometimes if you aren't enjoying the work having a friend with makes it more fun.